Friday, September 20, 2013

The Winter at Sunappe


                          One of the main activities that I love to do in the winter, i skiing.  I am not one of those people who go to a ski mountain, ski for a couple hours, leave, and never go skiing ever again.  I ski every weekend in New Hampshire at a mountain called Mount Sunapee.  I ski very competitively in the racing program.  I have been racing for seven years now.  This year, I will be racing for the U16's (Under 16 years of age.)  The types of racing that I do are called Giant Slalom and Slalom.  I personally enjoy racing slalom more than GS because you have to be fast.  Slalom involves very sharp and fast turns.  Within making those turns, there are gates that you have to avoid.  One can avoid these gates by knocking them down with special plastic guards for your ski poles.  The types of skis that I use for GS are one-hundred and sixty-three centimeters long, one and a half inches thick, and they come from the company, Blizzard.  The type of skis that I use for slalom are one hundred and forty-five centimeters long, one inch thick and they come from a company called, Elan.  When I am skiing just for fun when I am not racing, I use a special type of skis that have a very thick layer of wax on the bottom because they can get ripped up very easily.  These skis are called twin tips.  Twin tips allow one to ski forwards and backwards.  The twin tips that I have are one hundred and sixty-eight centimeters long, one inch thick and come from a company called, Volkl.  I very much love skiing and I wish I could do it all year round.  Sadly, that is not possible.  I can't wait for the upcoming winter season.  Sunapee, here I come! 


3 comments:

  1. Hey David, This was a really cool and interesting blog. I always thought that ski racing was dangerous but you make it sound like part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to ski at Sunapee when I was very young. When writing a post like this, think about those five rules of telling a good story that we worked on in class. It helps with almost any story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ski racing must be really special to you because I can tell that you know your stuff about it.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive