Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Back to the Future: Music Edition


               After many years, I have finally gotten into and instrument I have been playing since I was young.  Today, I got back into playing the piano.  I was playing the piano for so long.  I was like a human with four arms and forty fingers.  I was so good.  It all turned around when my piano teacher, Aaron Reitano was diagnosed with brain cancer.  He didn't come to my house for a long time for any lessons, but I just kept on practicing to make myself feel good again.  On my lesson that I had with him before he was diagnosed with cancer, he challenged me to practice for 21 minutes every day for 21 weeks.  I thought I would never be able to do it, but I am one of those kids who likes a good challenge.  So I was up for it.  Although I wanted to stop so badly, I just kept on going.  I practiced my songs, I practiced technique, theory and my chords.  I was just about ready to quit until the last week came upon me.  I thought to myself
"Ok.  This is the last week.  Yes it's tedious enough, but I really want to show Mr. Reitano my skills that I've practiced for so long."
I kept on pushing myself to the very last minute.  By my next Wednesday lesson with him, I told him that I did it.  I practiced every day for 21 minutes for 21 weeks.  He told me that he knew that I could do it.  He then handed me a trophy saying,


        Aaron Reitano's Cup Cake Award
21 Weeks on the 88's

I felt so proud of myself when I received the trophy from him.  The only thing I wanted from him was a smile.  That is what I got in return.  I had a few more lessons for a couple weeks, but then he disappeared for a very long time.  That was when my Mom told me that Mr. Rae was diagnosed with brain cancer.  I was okay with it for a little while, but it saddened me on the inside.  I missed seeing him a lot.  He really inspired me on the topic of music.  He was the reason I started my career in singing and playing the saxophone.  Then on February 20, 2012 he peacefully passed away in a hospital in Wayland.  I didn't find out that he died for about another month, but when I did, I was so sad to hear the news.  I could remember so many fun memories we had together.  I remember a recital I had when I was eight, it was in the winter and as a small joke, he dressed up as Santa.  Kinda corny, but come on, I was eight at the time.  When I heard that he had died, I didn't play the piano for years.  I would play my piano at home for a while, but I forgot all my songs that I had memorized, all my chords and all the technique I had learned.  Gone.
               Now, thanks to Molly Flannery, she has gotten me back into the instrument of piano.  I am slowly reproducing my skills, new songs, better techniques and all 24 chords I used to know.  I am playing Green Day, Coldplay, Adele and much more.
               I want to give a small thanks to the both of them.  Molly and Aaron.  The both brought me into the world of music and I will never leave, ever again.  I absolutely love music.  It is one of my biggest passions that I have.  Thank you both so much.


God Bless you, Aaron Reitano
R . I . P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive