Monday, October 21, 2013

Hunger Games Movie Review


The movie that I am reviewing is a well known movie called, The Hunger Games.  The Hunger Games trilogy began as a series of books, written by Suzanne Collins, and is now a major motion picture directed by Gary Ross.  The Hunger Games is an action and adventure like movie with intensity around every corner.  This movie starred two very good teenage actors, Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson.  A small overall plot of the book is that Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her sisters place in an annual fight to the death, The Hunger Games. The competitors for this challenge are two teenagers from each of the twelve districts in which they are to compete. Being in this challenge is a huge sacrifice for yourself and for your district. If I were one of those tributes for the I think that the biggest theme in the battle would be sacrifice.              
              
The story is told in a very well perspective from Katniss’ view.  The main genres of the movie are: action, sci-fi and a big thriller.  The intended audience would be mostly teenagers because the movie involves a lot of action, which most teenagers will always enjoy, and teenagers also enjoy the characters sense of humor.  The story kept its audience interested because there is always a little bit more action as the film progresses.  I really like how the book was written and they way that it was made into a movie and the way it played out.
              I think that the main theme for The Hunger Games is sacrifice.  First off, Katniss sacrifices herself to take her sister’s place in a battle to the death.  Katniss and Peeta sacrifice each other at the very end of the movie when they pop the poisonous berries in their mouths and almost swallow them and die!  In that scene, Katniss and Peeta are willing to die together.  The theme of sacrifice that is shown in the movie shows us how important life really is.  A second theme that I found in the movie was identity.  Before Katniss went into the arena, she was just a normal 16 year old hunter in District 12 in the country of Panem.  Her main goal for her life was to protect her family at all costs, even her little sister, Prim, whom she adores ever so dearly.  When Katniss is put into the hunger games arena, her personality changes by a great amount.  Now she is forced to kill people for her own survival, physically and verbally.  By verbally, I mean she has to be careful for what she says in front of the cameras because that could get her killed as well.
              The book affected me because when I really looked through the TV screen and read in between the pages closely, I found some connections.  Take sacrifice for example.  I sacrifice my own time to get my homework done, and help around the house to help my family.  I really try to show that I care a lot about the way that my family runs.  I also found that caring is a big aspect in The Hunger Games.  What Katniss does for the people she loves is presented in a very kind manner.  I also found that caring connected to me because I am a kind person and it made me feel proud for myself.  I think that sacrificing one's life for another is taking a very big chance for people my age, but if my little brother was competing in a fight to the death, I would definitely spare him and take his spot.  I don’t really think that any of the scenes in the movie connected to me in a way except for the scene when Katniss does a small and grateful ceremony for Rue after she was speared in the stomach.  That scene was another one of those scenes that expresses her feelings for the people who she loves.
              Overall, I thought that The Hunger Games is a well written book, and a well put together film.  Either in the book or the movie, its an action packed and young teenagers like us, would very much enjoy it.  They would enjoy the movie better in my personal view.  Overall, I strongly recommend that you read the book, then see the movie if you have not already.



David Nerrow
October 20, 2013
~Rating ****4 Stars / 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive